Please see below for answers to some of the most frequently asked questions regarding undergraduate admissions to Sidney Sussex College. Please contact the Admissions Office if your query is not answered below.
Am I able to visit Sidney Sussex College? Can somebody tour me around if so?
- You are very welcome to visit and explore Sidney Sussex College, although we are unable to offer guided tours of the College for reasons of capacity. Please see https://www.sid.cam.ac.uk/about-sidney/visiting-sidney for further details. It should be noted that the College may be closed to visitors at certain times, including the ‘Quiet Period’ for examinations.
Am I able to meet with an Admissions Tutor/Director of Studies?
- We regret that we are unable to offer bookable individual meetings or telephone conversations with our Director of Admissions or our academics. Please email email@example.com with any enquiries regarding admissions
Will Sidney Sussex accept my qualifications as suitable for entry?
- Please see https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements for details on which qualifications are considered as suitable for entry onto our courses. For information on international qualifications, please go to https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students/international-entry-requirements. Please note that all subject requirements as listed at https://www.sid.cam.ac.uk/apply/subjects must be met.
Can I apply to Sidney Sussex while studying at another UK University?
- Sidney Sussex will only accept applications from students currently studying a degree course at another UK university if there is evidence of significant extenuating circumstances, or if the prospective student is looking to study a substantially different subject from their current course.
Can I apply to Sidney Sussex having taken a Foundation Year at another university?
- You are technically eligible to make an application to Sidney Sussex College from a Foundation Year at another university. However, please note that Foundation Years vary considerably in terms of quality and content, thus not all foundation years would be considered suitable for entry to our courses. Please email the Admissions Office to find out if your Foundations Year would be considered suitable for entry.
- It should be noted that Sidney Sussex College typically prefers to base admissions decisions on internationally recognised qualifications such as A Levels, the International Baccalaureate and APs as detailed at https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements. Thus while applicants presenting a Foundation Year may be eligible to apply, their application may well be considered uncompetitive when compared with the gathered field of applicants without evidence of formal qualifications suitable for entry. This is particularly the case if their prior achievement has been below that of the typical entrant in their proposed subject.
Can I apply to Sidney Sussex as a transfer student?
- Sidney Sussex does not accept applications from prospective students wishing to transfer onto the later years of our courses. All applications must be to start from the first year of the course.
Can I apply to Sidney Sussex as a mature student?
- Yes - Sidney Sussex welcomes applications from prospective students that would be aged 21 or over on entry.
Can I apply to Sidney Sussex as an affiliate student?
- Yes - Sidney Sussex welcomes applications from prospective affiliate students
How does the College feel about students resitting examinations?
- Students resitting examination due to extenuating circumstances are welcome to apply to Sidney Sussex College. The extenuating circumstances surrounding their grades will be taken into account when assessing the application.
- Where possible we prefer to see that students have taken the qualifications required for entry in a single sitting. This demonstrates the ability to achieve at a high academic level and deal with a considerable workload, much as we would expect from a student on our courses. Thus students resitting examinations without extenuating circumstances can apply to us, but may unfortunately not be as competitive when compared to the gathered field of applicants if they are only retaking in one or two subjects after missing the desired grades initially.
- Where students are resitting examinations, we will place offer conditions on their achievements in the resat exams as we deem appropriate, which may include grades in specific subjects that are higher than the typical offer.
Does Sidney Sussex College take part in the Cambridge University Foundation Year in the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences?
- Yes. For more information on this, please visit https://www.sid.cam.ac.uk/apply/undergraduate-study/apply-sidney/cambridge-foundation-year
Making an application
How can I make my application more competitive?/ Where can I find resources to help support my application?
- We have a wealth of information on every stage of the admissions process, including mock interviews, available on our YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/sidneysussexcollege
Where can I find resources to explore my subject further?
- There are a host of fantastic resources available across all subjects at https://www.sid.cam.ac.uk/apply/undergraduate-study/beyond-syllabus and https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/super-curricular-activities
How will interviews work at Sidney Sussex in December 2022?
- Interviews this year will take place online at the beginning of December. Further details including format, online platform and timings will be sent out to applicants that are invited to interview as far in advance as possible
Do I need to submit written work with my application? How do I submit it if so?
- Sidney Sussex does not request written work for all subjects. Please check at https://www.sid.cam.ac.uk/apply/subjects to see if it required for your subject.
- We will ask for written work to be sent to us after your application has been submitted. Please check the email address that you applied with for details of this. The deadline for submissions this year is 3 November 2022. You should not need to write anything new to meet this requirement. Please check the subject pages for further details about written work requirements.
Do I need to have proof of English Language ability before applying/Will I be given an English Language condition as part of my offer?
- As stated at https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements/english-language-requirements, we do not require proof of English language ability at the point of application. Instead, the requirement to sit an English language assessment such as IELTS may be set as part of the conditions of any offer that might be made to an applicant, if the College deems It necessary. This is decided on an individual basis once we have fully assessed the application, and as such we cannot say in advance whether this type of condition will be set. Applicants would only need to take IELTS if needed, and would be required do so after getting an offer in January if so.
Can I apply to Sidney Sussex while studying at another non-UK University?
- Prospective applicants are technically eligible to make an application to Sidney Sussex College from the first year of an undergraduate degree at another university. However, it should be noted that Sidney Sussex College typically prefers to base admissions decisions on internationally recognised qualifications such as A Levels, the International Baccalaureate and APs as detailed at https://www.sid.cam.ac.uk/about-sidney/visiting-sidney. Thus while applicants applying from another University course may be technically eligible to apply, their application may well be considered uncompetitive when compared with the gathered field of applicants without evidence of formal qualifications suitable for entry. This is particularly the case if their prior achievement has been below that of the typical entrant in their proposed subject.
Does Sidney Sussex offer any funding for international students?
- Sidney Sussex College is unfortunately unable to offer significant funding for international students to undertake undergraduate study at the University of Cambridge. Details regarding funding and scholarships for the University can be found at https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students/financial-support