Tutorial and pastoral support underpins student welfare in the widest sense.
Individual Colleges may involve a variety of individuals, including Tutors (who are generally Fellows of the College, and may have separate academic responsibilities within the College and the University), Nurses, or Chaplains. However it is delivered, tutorial provision is an essential component of Cambridge College life.
Pastoral support at Sidney comprises:
- College Nurse
- Pastoral Tutor
- Your Tutor
Your Tutor has a wide variety of responsibilities. Their role is to provide all-round support and guidance to their students - it would not be feasible to provide an exhaustive list of all their responsibilities!
Listed below are some of the regular ways in which Tutors - together with Tutorial Office Staff, Directors of Studies, Nurses, and Chaplains - fulfil their role. Clearly, some of these functions entail strict confidentiality.
Dr Edward Wilson-Lee
Dr Deirdre Serjeantson
Dr Ruth Jackson Ravenscroft
09:30 - 10:30
10:00 - 11:00
AMES Classics English Archaeology Engineering & Chem Eng via Eng History of Art Architecture History HSPS ASNAC History and Politics Mathematics (with Comp Sci) Computer Science Land Economy Music Economics MFG Natural Sciences & Chem Eng via Nat Sci Geography MML PBS Law Theology Linguistics Medicine Philosophy Veterinary Medicine
For Management Studies and changes of subject, you will continue with your existing Tutor. Please use the People Page to look up the contact details of you Tutor.
- Induction (Introducing and welcoming freshers to Cambridge and College life; ongoing social contact for College-based talks, workshops and/or parties; personal contact/support - a friendly face)
- Personal well-being (Personal development; contact for all health matters and problems; link with GP, hospitals, counsellors; assistance with special needs and disabilities [advice, practical support]; help in developing transferable skills)
- Accommodation (provision of advice and support)
- Administrative and Financial
- Advice on identifying and obtaining financial assistance
- Liaison with other bodies (external bodies including Local Education Authorities, Student Loans Company, graduate funding bodies; and internal bodies such as Departments, Central Administration, Board of Graduate Studies, sources of funding and applications)
- Examinations (Registration; special conditions; complaints/appeals; change of course; degrading/intermission)
- Admissions process (participation in)
- Academic oversight (review of progress, advice on study methods, and support in the event of difficulties with courses or teachers)
- Careers advice and provision of references
- Liaison between student and supervisor/Director of Studies/Department
- College Nurse
For details on how the nurse can help you and the surgery hours, please check the Nurse's web page.
College Room Health Centre, Garden Court P7
T +44 (0)1223 (3)38826
- Pastoral Tutor
The Pastoral Tutor is available to all graduates and undergraduates from Sunday to Friday to talk over any concerns you may have.
Please pop in when passing or make an appointment by email or phone.
College Room Y1
T +44 (0)1223 338837
M 07795 580051 (please call rather than text)