Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge University is seeking to appoint a Porter to join a busy and friendly team in the Porters’ Lodge.
The Porters’ Lodge acts as a central hub for the College community and is staffed 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year. Key roles include ensuring the safety and security of the College premises; responding to fire alarms; being the first point of contact for all emergencies; administering first aid; providing mental health first aid support and protecting the welfare of all those on site. In many instances, the Porters’ Lodge is the first experience visitors have to the College and we aim to deliver a professional and efficient reception service at all times.
The Porters provide a front of house service and display a high standard of communication, appearance and professionalism as part of an efficient team within the Lodge.
This role will work within a team of Porters, under the direction of the Head Porter and the Deputy Head Porter, to maintain high levels of consistent quality service to Fellows, students, staff and members of the public.
The successful applicant will be customer-focused with excellent communication skills, have the ability to integrate into a team and be able to remain calm under pressure. Working knowledge of security and Health & Safety are also important to this role. Experience of working in hospitality or a college environment would also be welcomed.
- This is a full-time permanent post, involving 42 hours per week worked over a four-week shift pattern. The shift pattern includes day shifts, night shifts, weekend work and bank holidays.
- The post holder may be required to work over the Christmas and New Year period, according to the prevailing roster.
- Some flexibility will be required to cover team absence or College events.
The salary is dependent on experience but up to £23,715 per annum plus shift premium. Incremental salary progression is discretionary.
Porters have 25 days annual leave, plus 8 bank holidays pro rata calculated in hours equating to 277 hours per annum.
- An excellent contributory pension scheme provided by the Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS).
- Free College meals when on duty.
- College uniform provided upon successful completion of a 6-month probation period.
- Subsidised membership of the College’s gym facilities.
In order to apply, please complete and submit an application form with a covering letter outlining your suitability to email@example.com by the closing date below. Alternatively, applications can by posted to the HR Department at Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge CB2 3HU.
Applications will be considered on receipt. Any offer of appointment is subject to the receipt of two satisfactory references; verification of identity and qualifications; and eligibility to work in the UK.
Sidney Sussex College is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to equality of opportunity and supports and encourages under-represented groups and values diversity for Women, Black and Minority Ethnic, Disabled and Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender applicants.